Some of us are already seeing the signs of Spring. Of course I am busy at work with my new Spring and Summer designs. And there is one old African style that just won’t leave me alone. It’s waist beads. I have designed and sold many in the past but it has been over 6 years since I sold the last design. 2012 was a year of remembering what I forgot.
I promised myself I would follow the spirit and entrust that my intuition would lead the way and open new faucets of my creativity. African Waist Belts are one of the major themes. As soon as I have completed the designs I will post a blog entry. Below I have shared a brief history of African Waist Beads, it’s significance in African cultural life and contribution to High Fashion style worldwide today.
The Yorubas in Nigeria and Egyptians of Egypt were the first to introduce this type of adornment to the world. The usage of waist beads were to represent the material and spiritual aspects of day to day life in Africa.
1) They were a symbol of success, affluence and spiritual well being. The beads were symbols of a young girl becoming a woman.
2) Waist beads were worn to evoke erotic appeal from the opposite sex. For example some women wear them and dance for their husbands.
3) In Islamic culture they are most commonly worn under the clothes.
4) These beads were also used as a type of birth control for girls.
5) For a woman to wear waist beads it accentuates her feminism and beauty. For a girl it represents her chastity.
6) All over Africa beads symbolize wealth and these beads represent a woman’s wealth when worn.
7) In other parts of Africa and the Diaspora these beads are worn for personal pleasure, to protect the wearer against evil spirits and to facilitate spiritual healing.
8) These beads were believed to help a woman keep her shapely figure after having children and are worn by a variety of tribal women for that purpose.
9) Waist beads are the foundation for the design that everyone knows today as the belt. Wow!
So it’s that time of the year again. Red, Gold, Silver, Sequins, Velvet and the list goes on and on. For some of us putting together an outfit with the perfect complimenting jewelry can be a piece of cake while for others a frustrating challenge. Well here are a few tips from a Jewelry Designer-Sheinata Carn-Hall.
1) Decide if you want to go bold with the jewelry or keep it simple.
2) Do you want the colors your pieces to compliment or stand out from you outfit?
3) What natural feature do you want to highlight with your jewelry selection?
Once you have answered these questions it’s time to choose the jewelry. Remember you can wear a necklace bracelet or earrings that compliment each other. Any two of the three mentioned or a single piece of jewelry to convey the look for the event.
The days of matching jewelry ensembles have finally met their match. Today it’s all about making a statement with one signature piece. You can layer the chains and pearls in your own jewelry box or purchase a new statement necklace to create your own seasonal sensation.
Bangles Runway, red carpet or any season bangles are the go to category to take any outfit to the next level. You can layer them or keep them sleek and simple bangles are an inexpensive way to add the final wow to any party look.
If you love fashion then I am sure you have a pair of dangle earrings. Whether you like bold color, shimmering gold or dazzling stones there is no better way to make that cute party dress work harder for this holiday season.<br/>Have fun and be safe at your holiday parties. I know I will!
Glimmerings of stripes as a fashion trend have been appearing since 2010. Wednesday a friend of mine asked me to write a blog about accessorizing jewelry with stripes. I thought that it was a great idea. Accessorizing stripes requires bold choices in jewelry and many themes have emerged.
My own personal favorite is keeping my jewelry bright but neutral. For more conservative types the easiest way is to wear jewelry that is the background color of the stripes. Another way is to accessorize with solid color brights worn to create the effects of the stripes. You can create this look by wearing multiple bangles together. Accessorize with more stripes.
Mixing colors and patterns are fun. Bold multi colored jewelry and metals are also good options. Adorning an outfit with silver, gold or brass metals can add great contrast. Have fun and mix it up. If you noticed I did not once mention delicate jewelry. Multiple bangles, bold metal necklaces and pendants and bold earrings are the keys to pulling off stripes. The bolder the stripes the bolder the jewelry.